The contents of Soapy Joe have been merged with the Average Joe American home page at www.AverageJoeAmerican.US. This page will no longer be updated. Update your bookmarks and feed subscriptions today.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Love Your Enemies

Today's Daily Soap {Scripture | Observation | Application | Prayer}
  • S: Matthew 5:38-48
  • O: It's not enough to just be typical, to just show love to those that are close to you. It's not enough to just love your friends, family, and loved ones. That's what everyone does. What God wants from us is to strive to be like Him. Like Christ. When Judas Iscariot betrayed Christ, what did He do? He said, "That's me," told Peter to put away his sword, and went peacefully. What did Christ do when he was convicted by Pilate? When the soldiers whipped Him? When they hung Him on the cross? He forgave them. And the criminal that was crucified with Christ? He forgave him. He forgave them all, because He loved them. Even those who were His enemies, Christ loved. This is what God has commanded us to do -- to love our enemies. "Live generously and graciously toward others."
  • A: It seems so easy to just go through the day, minding my own business, getting the job done. I get up in the morning, go to work, then come home at night. Sure, I encounter people and interact with them, but do I really touch their lives? Do I really show those I encounter -- those who work for me, and others -- that I am a follower of Christ? Do I wear it like a badge or medal that I want everyone to see? Do I let it shine from the hilltop? Or do I just get through the day, not bothering to share the love of Christ with others? Not spreading the Good News, so that others can come to know Him?
  • P: Lord, help me to obey your commandment to go forth and preach the Good News. Help me to show those I encounter on a daily basis that I am a follower of the Living God, and that they, too, can be forgiven. Help me, Father, to share the story of Salvation with others. Help me to let my light shine from the hilltop for all to see, rather just getting through the day. Help me, in this way, to show the Love of Christ to all that I meet.
Send feedback to Joe by email, or by calling 206-600-4JOE.

No comments: